Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Eating Healthy at Disneyland



I go to Disneyland a lot.  I don't mean twice a year a lot.  I mean you-must-be-so-bored-going-there-again a lot.  Yup, we try to spend at least 2 weekends a month there.  Going to the land of the mouse so often I try to eat healthy.  I am training for a series of upcoming races so I am trying to fuel my body properly.  Is it a challenge to do while at Disneyland?  I'm not gonna lie:it can be.  When it is a challenge, it is because of choices I make and not the lack of availability of good, wholesome foods.



Food Carts
There are food carts available throughout Disneyland and California Adventure.  While some of the food carts do sell ice cream, churros, popcorn, and other less than per get snacks, many sell fresh fruit such as apples, pineapple, bananas as well as dried apple chips, and carrot/celery snack packs.  At Disneyland these choices are readily available at the carts near the lockers on Main Street, near the back of Fantasyland near Big Thunder Ranch, and across from Splash Mountain.  Inside many restaurants are healthy options that include juice, yogurt and fresh fruit platters as well.

Water
Any dining restaurant in Disneyland will provide water.  I often refill my water bottles at Disneyland and California Adventure and have never had any problems in any establishment even if I am not dining there.  So leave the gallon water jugs at home and refill your water bottle as often as needed.  Since you are going to be walking ALOT, drink lots of water!



Dining Establishments
My favorite dining establishment is Ranchodel Zocalo Restaurante near Big Thunder Mountain.  The price is reasonable, the portions are good and I can order grilled chicken that is extremely tasty.


This is my go-to dinner and I share it with others~it's too much for me to eat alone.  They also have enchiladas, carne asada, grilled chicken salad, fruit salad, fresh fruits (apples, bananas, fresh fruit plates), tamales and other yummy entrees. 

At most restaurants, there are healthy options.  If the issue is a dietary allergy (i.e., gluten intolerance, dairy intolerance, etc.), let the staff at the restaurant know.  The cast member will likely have you talk to the chef directly.  When we brought my nephews who have gluten and dairy allergies to California Adventure, Disney was able to make gluten and dairy free pizzas for them!  Just be prepared to wait 10-15 minutes while they cook the order to your specifications.  Don't know what eating establishments can cater to your allergy or intolerance?  Visit Chamber of Commerce in California Adventure or City Hall at Disneyland or call Disney Dining and they will help you out.

Splurges
Yes, you may be tempted to go off your diet.  If you do, find something that you enjoy that is made fresh at the park.  For example, don't splurge on a cupcake since it is not made fresh at the parks.  Instead, splurge on some fudge or candy apples which are made in the parks.  Make the splurge worth the calories!

So, eating healthy at the parks is definitely something that can be done with ease.  One final tip: you can bring food into the Disneyland and California Adventure. Tom Sawyer's Island (now called the Pirates Cove) in Disneyland is a great place for a family picnic!

No comments:

Post a Comment