Saturday, January 26, 2013

Run Disney Tinkerbell Half Marathon

I did it!  My first half marathon was completed on Sunday, January 20, 2013 when I crossed the finish line just outside Disneyland!  The Tinkerbell Half Marathon weekend and the race itself was an amazing experience.  If you are looking at running a half, this one is a GREAT experience and so much fun.  If you HATE Disney, you probably will not like this event.  If you are looking for a unique experience and are even remotely considering doing this race, just think a happy thought, sprinkle some pixie dust and go for it!


My Tink-inspired outfit: Tinkerbell shirt from www.rawthreads.com, arm sleeves and skirt from www.sparkleskirt.com, and glow in the dark shoe laces which my hubby gave me as a surprise and our race bibs!


The race starts at 5:00 am.  UGGHHHH!  I am NOT a morning person but I set my alarm clock for 3:15 a.m. to get ready by putting my hair up in a sock bun, sprinkling LOTS of glitter in my hair, and getting into my Tinkerbell inspired outfit and race gear, driving to Disney and walking to the corrals.

The corrals are about a 15 minute walk from the parking structure.  Hubby and I did make it to the corrals in time!  I was assigned to Corral B but my hubby was assigned to Corral C so I started in C with hubby so we could experience the race together.
 I chose not to wear wings since I thought they would drive me crazy.  At the start there was more pixie wings, glitter and tutus than in a drag queen revue!  It was so much fun to see everyone's costumes and see grown women embrace their inner pixie!


Each corral starts with a send off from a Tinkerbell on a computer generated screen.  "Three, two, one. GO!"  and we were off!  We spent the first five miles or so running in California Adventure and Disneyland.  They wound us throughout the parks, including cast areas.  Disney had many of the main rides lit up (you couldn't ride), floats from the parade out as decorations and, of course, character stops.  One of my favorite was World of Color music playing and the water fountains lit up by Paradise Pier.  Hubby and I stopped for a quick picture and then once again we were off!  We only stopped for a few pictures and could not resist stopping for a quick picture with the Chimney Sweeps on Main Street Disneyland.   Of course, a highlight is to run through the castle when it is all lit up against the early morning sky!  The Disney parks were full of Disney runners!
That's a lot of runners!


The spectators were all along the course cheering us on.  It was amazing seeing husbands cheering on their wifes, kids cheering on their parents, and grandparents cheering on their kids.  My favorite cheering section was the Red Hat Society ladies.  This group cheered as loud for us near the middle of the pixie mush pot as they cheered for the first racer.  These ladies were so great and such a motivation as an older generation cheered on the younger generation of women!  Thank you ladies!  Here were some of my favorite signs:





Around mile 6, we left the Disney property and began winding through the streets of Anaheim. There were bands, cheerleader groups, and spectators cheering us on after we left the parks.  I have a soft spot in my heart for marching bands so I loved hearing the junior high, high school and college bands playing on the course.  It definitely pumped me up!

Pretty soon, we could see Tower of Terror from a distance and knew we were getting close to the end.  Through a tunnel and up to see the glorious "Finish" line arch!  My hubby turned to me and said, "Let's sprint to the finish."  We began to run our hearts out.  But, darn you Disney, it was a Disney illusion.  There was a loop which we did not see.  Hubby, not skipping a beat took my hand, looked into my eyes and "I meant at let's run from the 13 mile marker."  We laughed, slowed to a walk and continued forward. 

Want to see my favorite cheerleader?  My daughter was waiting for hubby and I at the finish line.  She even had a little surprise for us.  She had a shirt made that said "My parents cheered for my dreams, now I cheer for theirs". We spotted her just before the finish line (thankfully we were running) wearing her cheer bow from her cheer days and waving her pom-poms.

 Before long, we were running to the finish line with Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy to greet us with high 5s!  After the finish line, the group bottlenecks.  We received our medals, handed a water and snack box and went to the parks for some fun and celebrating that we actually finished our first half marathon!  Of course, we had Tink with us wearing it proudly!
My first Disney bling~ain't she purty!



2 comments:

  1. My friend and I just signed up to run 2014's Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon. We are very excited and also a little apprehensive as this will be our first 1/2 marathon, in fact it will be our first race of any distance. Thank you for sharing your experience. If you don't mind me asking, what was your finishing time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, congratulations on signing up for Tinkerbell Half Marathon. You will LOVE it! I am a member of Team Slowpoke. I will be the first to admit I am not fast but I can (and will) finish. I ran both the Tinkerbell Half Marathon and Princess Half Marathon injured with plantar fasciitis. For the Tinkerbell Half Marathon my finishing time (with a few picture stops) was 3 hours, 20 minutes. For the Princess Half Marathon, my finishing time was 3 hours 40 minutes. I did not train between Tink and Princess to try to give my body a chance to heal. I was assigned to Corral B based on an 11k finish time of 1 hour 20 minutes. This gave me a little bit of cushion as the 16 minute pace that Disney requires does not start until the last participant crossed the start line. I would recommend that you and your friend try to do at least one 10k for a time.

    According to RunDisney's website for Tinkerbell under "Registration" there is a category referred to as "proof of time". For Tinkerbell, it states, "If proof of time is not provided by November 1, 2013, data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral." I would try to do atleast one 10k with an official timing chip so you can be placed in an earlier corral to give you a little extra time to finish.

    Please feel free to ask me any questions.

    ReplyDelete