Thursday, July 11, 2013

Jeff Galloway Method: Run, Walk, Run


In 2012, I decided that I wanted to do RunDisney's Princess and Tinkerbell Half Marathon.  I had not ran since high school so I knew it would be a challenge.  I signed up and immediately joined the ranks in becoming "Disney Poor" after the mouse took the registration fee from my bank account.  

Feeling exhilerated, I laced up my sneakers purchased at least 6 months previously at Walmart and decided to head out for a "quick jog".  Well, what was in my head and what my body can do were two different things!  I made it to the end of the block (I don't think it was more than 1/4 mile) and knew I was in trouble.  I was already huffing and puffing, my lungs were trying to escape this new form of torture by beating out of my chest, my legs and feet were already hurting and my head finally was saying "Whoa!  What did we just do?!"  

Feeling utterly defeated, I walked back home to look at training programs.  I searched "half marathon training programs" on google and came up with more than two dozen programs.  I had no idea what made one program better than the other, if they were realistic or anything about them.  Somewhere in my research, I found a golden nugget.  I was happier than a kid finding free gum on the underside of a table!  I learned about the Galloway Method.  The basic premise is to take walking breaks before you need them and incorporate walking and running intervals.  The reviews sounded wonderful.  "Finished in an upright position", "made it all the way to the finish line" and "finished injury-free" were some of the phrases tossed around.  Jeff Galloway, a professional runner and Olympian, creates running programs for Run Disney for each of their races.  I took a closer look.  It looked feasible.  Start walking/running and increase distance and speed.  I knew I could walk.  I could run for about 30 seconds.  That's a good place to start.

Over the next several months, I increased my distances and went from a 30 second run/walk interval to a 1 minute run/walk interval.  When it was time to do the half marathon, I continued with the Galloway Method.  I actually finished!  It was wonderful!  Are there programs that train you to run the whole event?  Yes.  Will I use them? Probably not.  I get a wonderful workout with the run/walk intervals, never out of breath, have energy at the end and it works well for my body. 
 

At the Tinkerbell Half feeling great!

No comments:

Post a Comment