Tuesday, July 9, 2013

No More Excuses! AKA Get Off Your Butt!


I have a confession.  I have been using my issues with plantars fasciitis as an excuse not to work out.  I know it is stupid.  While there are some limitations I have, that does not mean I cannot work out.

I finally realized that this is stupid and I am only hurting myself.  I knew I needed to work out but kept coming up with incredible brilliant reasons to avoid working out.  Maybe some of them sound familiar to you?

Excuse: "I Look Gooooodddd!""
I don't mean that I will ever be on the cover of Sports Illustrated or Maxim.  Just the average everyday experience of looking in the mirror and deciding that I look "fine".  Victoria's Secret is not hunting me down but I don't look too bad.  Just a little "fluffy" around the edges but I am "big boned" so what do I expect?  I will never be a size 4 because I do have curves and hips.  I don't look terrible so "meh."

Truth: Being healthy has nothing to do with appearance.  I need to be in better health for so many other reasons than appearance.  I can't run 3 miles straight, I can't go up the stairs without huffing and puffing, I have fat around my middle and heart and have no energy.  These are indicators that I am not healthy and it will take a toll on my body later in life.  This is about investing in me now so I will have a future. 

Excuse: "I can't afford a gym membership, Beachbody videos, gym equipment, etc"
 All this stuff adds up.  How am I going to afford this and cute workout clothes?

Truth:  Oh stop it!  You don't need to join a gym, own the greatest DVDs or have fancy gym equipment.  When my kids were little and we just barely could afford to eat, I went to goodwill found a $3 workout tape (my big splurge!) and made weights from household items.  Need a weight?  Canned food, bags of rice and duffle bags filled with books make great weights.  Now, you can go to the local library and get workout DVDs for free.  Also, there are a number of free workouts on youtube such as Rockbody.tv that change daily and are easy to do at home.

Excuse: "I don't have time for that!"
I'm busy, overwhelmed and stressed already.  You want me to find time for working out, too.  Sorry, can't be done, my schedule is already too full.  I have stuff that I have not even touched that I have to get done.

Truth:  This is the mother of all excuses.  I spend lots of time watching TV, oversleeping and wasting time.  If it is a priority, you will find the time.  Find out what is sucking up your time and make changes!  For me, it's facebook, television and oversleeping.  I can identify what is sucking up my time and I can use that time to be productive.

Excuse: "I don't want to sweat!"
I took a shower this morning.  I don't want to be sweaty and gross.  I don't want to change my outfit~again.

Truth: Sweat means your body is exerting itself and you are becoming stronger and more efficient.  Working out for a half hour won't kill you and may be a minor inconvenience.  Not working out and staying unhealthy can kill you.  Get off your butt and just go!

Excuse: "I'm too tired!"
I can just barely get off the couch and I have no energy.  I can start working out tomorrow.

Truth: Get off your butt and go.  Walk around the neighborhood, do jumping jacks, do something!  You are tired because you don't do anything.  Exercise will increase your energy and make you stronger.  Doing nothing has gotten you to feel weak, tired and overweight.  Working out may just change that.

These are my top excuses for not working out.  I'm not going to make them anymore.  I am getting off work tonight and working out!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment